Utah Symphony | Utah Opera (USUO) is thrilled to launch the Upbeat Society for Emerging Leaders, an exclusive leadership opportunity for local young professionals who believe USUO’s classical performing arts are vital to a healthy future.
WHO ARE WE?
Upbeat is an exclusive group comprised of 50 young professionals who represent the future of arts philanthropy in our community.
WHAT DO WE DO?
Our mission is to foster a sustainable community of young USUO patrons, create a pipeline for future donors, and connect up-and-coming professionals in the vital work of community leadership.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF AN UPBEAT MEMBERSHIP?
Upbeat offers members:
- Insider access to intimate and educational musical experiences
- Invitations to networking social events, and personal and professional connections with culturally-minded leaders in our community
- Relationship-building with local companies and organizations who have a passion for USUO’s mission
- Letter of recognition from USUO’s CEO to member’s employer, highlighting their contributions (if applicable)
- A voucher for (2) free tickets to a performance during USUO’s 2019/2020 season
- 20% discount on select concert tickets
- An invitation to meet and greets with guest artists and a private music salon
- (2) exclusive lectures with USUO staff, musicians, or guest artists
- Involvement in one of the premier arts organizations in Salt Lake City, including participation in the strategic planning of USUO’s future for younger demographics
Each season, members come together to award a grant in support of a USUO program of the group’s collective choosing. Paid for by membership dues, this grant demonstrates a philanthropic commitment from future arts supporters and provides a sense of ownership and investment in the organization.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I AM A GOOD FIT FOR UPBEAT?
The ideal Upbeat member is someone who:
- Has a desire to network with, connect to, and support other young professionals
- Has dedicated time to attend a minimum of 5 Upbeat meetings, either via phone or in person, on the first Wednesday of the month (see the Upbeat schedule for dates)
- Has dedicated time to attend musical performances, exclusive educational opportunities, and social events
- Will be responsive to occasional e-mails and texts from Upbeat members and USUO staff
- Feels comfortable being an advocate for USUO in the community
HOW DO I JOIN?
Upbeat has a membership cap of 50. To find out if there is space available and to set up a time to discuss your interest in the group, please e-mail USUO Director of Individual Giving, Olivia Custodio, at email@example.com.
The membership fee for Upbeat is $950 each season (September 1st– August 31st) with a two-year commitment. Individuals may pay their membership fee at once, or in a more personalized payment plan.
CAN MY COMPANY SPONSOR MY MEMBERSHIP?
Absolutely. Many companies find high value in having a member of their team represented in local groups that support the future of our community. If you’re not sure if your company has a program like this, we recommend checking with your HR or Compliance representative. There are many benefits for your company by sponsoring your membership. Click below to learn more about Upbeat Corporate Sponsorship Benefits.
2019-2020 UPBEAT SEASON CALENDAR OF EVENTS (click arrow to view)
- 14th 6:00pm– Season launch dinner at Red Rock Brewery. Free for members!
- 7:30pm Concert: The Planets by Holst. A crowd favorite!
- 24th 7:00pm– Upbeat group seating at our Salute to Youth Concert. $12 for members!
- Our Salute to Youth concert features extraordinary young, up-and-coming musicians. We’re talking 12 year olds! Let’s support the future generation.
- October 2nd 6:00pm- Upbeat Season Kickoff Meeting
- Early October business luncheon; date and location TBA– Meet a Maestro
- Come meet Utah Symphony’s Associate Conductor, Conner Gray Covington. Hear about his life as a conductor and ask him your burning questions!
- October 14th or 16th 7:30pm– Come to La Traviata at the Janet Quinney Lawson Capitol Theatre and get access to our VIP intermission reception.
- Complimentary wine and appetizers!
- November 6th 6:00pm- Upbeat Member Meeting
- November 16th 7:30pm- UNWOUND: Rhapsody in Blue
- Forget the ties and traditional etiquette rules, but still experience the same great music. UNWOUND features shorter, less conventional programs with activities, food, and drink in the lobby and on the plaza prior to the concert; enhanced visual experience during the performances; and mingling and a Q&A with artists after the concert. Upbeat members receive free drink tickets to the bar in the lobby.
- December 4th 6:00pm- Upbeat Member Meeting
- Early December; date and location TBA– Meet the Utah Opera Resident Artists
- Enjoy some holiday treats and meet our five amazing Resident Artists as they talk about being an opera singer and show off their vocal talents!
- No Upbeat Member Meeting this month
- January 10th or 11th; details TBA– Meet and Greet with opera star, Isabel Leonard
- Mezzo-soprano Isabel Leonard is taking the opera world by storm! She regularly appears at the Metropolitan Opera and the world’s biggest opera houses.
- January 18th-26th– Utah Opera’s production of Silent Night
- An amazing new opera about a real-life truce on Christmas Eve during World War I. Upbeat members will receive a backstage tour after a select performance (date TBA).
- February 5th 6:00pm- Upbeat Member Meeting
- February 8th– Meet and Greet with Joyce Yang, pianist
- Upbeat members get a special Valentine’s Day deal for this concert featuring works by Gershwin and Dvorák–2 for 1 Date Night Deal to keep those loving feelings going. After the concert, meet Grammy-nominated classical pianist, Joyce Yang.
- March 4th 6:00pm- Upbeat Member Meeting
- March 6th– Donor appreciation party!
- Join us after the “Sketches of Spain” concert at a local restaurant for food and drinks as we say thank you for all of your support! Location TBA.
- Early March, details TBA– Behind the scenes look at The Barber of Seville
- Meet the cast and director of this beloved opera, watch some of the rehearsal, have some food and drinks, and mingle!
- April 1st 6:00pm- Upbeat Member Meeting
- Date TBD– Music Salon
- Featuring musicians of the Utah Symphony. Come enjoy glorious music, food, and drink in the intimate setting of a home.
- May 6th 6:00pm- Final Upbeat Member Meeting of the season
- May 19th 3:00pm– Upbeat attends USUO Board Meeting to award grant money.
- May 23rd 7:30pm– Season Finale: Beethoven’s “Eroica”
- Drinks and appetizers before the season finale concert at Abravanel Hall. Location TBA.
- Early June, details TBA– Upbeat season celebration
- Let’s get away and celebrate a successful season with a summer party in Park City. Gorgeous views, food, drink—what more could you want?!