Connect our community with great live music.
Join our team and help support unforgettable musical experiences for our community at a 501(c3) non-profit organization that values excellence, integrity, trust, and communication.
Benefits & Perks at Utah Symphony | Utah Opera
Full-time staff receive health coverage (USUO pays 100%), 401(k) contribution plan, and paid time-off and holidays.
Staff receive complimentary and discounted tickets to Utah Symphony and Utah Opera performances.
Work that Matters
Music touches lives for good and enriches our community. Be part of an organization that brings beauty and happiness to the lives of people all over the state.
The staff supports USUO’s mission to connect the community through great live music by doing everything from promotion and fundraising to artistic planning and operations. View and apply for open positions below.
Marketing Manager, New Audience Development
Full-Time, Marketing Department
Reports to: Vice President of Marketing & Public Relations
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position offering a comprehensive benefits package.
Are you passionate about music and excited to spread this enthusiasm throughout the community? The Marketing Manager overseeing New Audience Development helps Utah Symphony | Utah Opera (USUO), a professional orchestra and opera company presenting more than 120 annual performances, fulfill its mission of Connecting the Community through Great Live Music by building awareness and enthusiasm for upcoming events to increase attendance and achieve ticket sales goals.
In this position, you will work closely with USUO’s Vice President of Marketing & Public Relations and agency, creative, and advertising partners to use a variety of communication channels designed to get effective messages in front of the right people. You will be responsible for implementing marketing plans that increase attendance and ticket revenue to help support USUO’s artistic, education, and audience objectives.
Essential responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement marketing strategies that increase awareness of Utah Symphony and Utah Opera events, attract ticket buyers, and increase sales for performances.
- Manage efforts to connect with and attract new and emerging audiences to performances.
- Manage the radio, TV, online, outdoor, and print advertising budgets.
- Coordinate with media buyers at advertising agencies and media outlets to place and negotiate media for advertising campaigns. Traffic advertisements and oversee media schedules. Track and report on the results of campaigns.
- Prepare promotional materials by coordinating with contacts at media outlets and contracted graphic designers.
- Manage USUO’s Google Ads and Google Grants accounts. Monitor and optimize the performance of pay-per-click campaigns.
- Coordinate with printers to print posters, flyers, and banners.
- Run USUO’s street team program and brand activations, including lobby activations. Oversee the distribution of posters and flyers throughout the community.
- Run USUO’s Kids Club program. This includes organizing the Kids Club table at performances, creating learning materials for young audience members, communicating regularly with parents, and organizing the annual Ice Cream with the Musicians event.
- Produce Utah Symphony | Utah Opera’s radio and TV spots. Write PSAs for public radio announcements.
- Produce and promote Utah Symphony | Utah Opera’s podcasts. Oversee the recording and editing of episodes. Book and schedule guests for interviews.
- Bachelor degree in Marketing, Communication, Business or equivalent marketing experience.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience working in marketing and promotion. Concert or event promotion experience preferred.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about music, including classical music and opera.
- A team player with proven ability to work effectively on a team and across departments who is able to maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to professionally solve problems and meet deadlines when under pressure.
- Ability to capture and use data to measure marketing programs and inform decision making. Google Analytics proficiency preferred.
- Proven ability to find creative ways to reach target audiences and motivate action.
- Understanding of the creative development process and media planning.
- Experience purchasing and negotiating media contracts.
- Excellent organization and project management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities. Skilled in editing marketing collateral for clarity and correct grammar.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Adobe Creative suite.
- Preferred experience managing pay-per-click advertising campaigns using Google Ads.
- Preferred experience producing audio content that is distributed on social media. Proficiency in audio and video editing tools.
- Flexible work schedule, including evening and weekends to attend performances, required.
Utah Opera seeks a detail-oriented individual with strong organizational and interpersonal skills to help coordinate and supervise all technical aspects of five Utah Opera productions and rental and construction projects. Candidate should be self-motivated and willing to look for ways to improve the working environment. This job requires adherence to high standards, a strong sense of responsibility, enthusiasm, and working nights and weekends. You should possess the ability to operate well under pressure, with a positive and dedicated problem-solving attitude, while being adaptable to new situations and changing priorities. Responsibilities include but not limited to: preparing and supervising the load-in/load-out of all sets and props; the complete rehearsal and run of shows in the Capitol Theatre. This job also assists in the construction drafting for projects to be built in the shop. Preparing ground plans; sections, and other technical drawings for production. Software knowledge required to know; AutoCAD preferred, Excel, Word, Outlook. BA in technical theatre or related field required, MFA preferred. Position is available now. Offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package. This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position with competitive pay and excellent benefits.
Please apply online. Application materials should include a resume and cover letter.
Master Electrician / Shop Carpenter
UTAH OPERA seeks candidates for Master Electrician/Shop Carpenter. The Master Electrician/Shop Carpenter would oversee company lighting gear, lead electrics crews during the load in and load out of Utah Opera productions and assist in the building of productions as a carpenter in the Utah Opera Scenic Studio. Experience programming ETC consoles, hands-on experience with intelligent lighting, and working with union stage crews is preferred.
This job requires adherence to high standards, a strong sense of responsibility, enthusiasm, and working nights and weekends. You should possess the ability to operate well under pressure, with a positive and dedicated problem-solving attitude, while being adaptable to new situations and changing priorities.
Other responsibilities include: collaborating with technical department heads, collaborating with designers, tracking labor, maintaining equipment, fabrication of custom light fixtures and effects, MIG welding, and experience or the ability to learn projections and video editing. This position will work as a shop carpenter 8-9 months out of the year and 3-4 months as a master electrician. Candidates should be a graduate of an accredited technical theatre program or have relevant work experience. This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position with competitive pay and excellent benefits.
Public Relations Internship
USUO is seeking a part-time Public Relations Intern to assist the Public Relations Director with expanding media relations efforts and placement. Intern would be responsible for drafting press releases and PSAs, updating and managing media lists, distributing relevant press materials to media in advance of their deadlines, monitoring and tracking media clips into our library, assisting with content generation and coordination for social media, conceptualizing and pitching unique story angles to the media and assisting the Marketing Department with any other projects as necessary. Hours are flexible and will be determined prior to the internship. Internship duration will also be determined based on mutual company and intern needs.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Writing press releases
- Writing PSAs (public service announcements)
- Submit PSAs to community calendars
- Interviewing guest artists/conductors
- Writing stories for publication on blog, playbill and social media
- Assisting in social media content production on platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Research and content production for patron relations project
- Creating, updating and maintaining media lists
- Monitoring and tracking media clips in an organized manner
- Pitching regional stories to local publications
- Conceptualizing and pitching unique story angles and human interest stories to media
Ideal candidate should be a recent graduate or current student of Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or Communications at an accredited university and have excellent written and verbal communication, and familiarity with journalistic AP Style. Experience writing news stories or marketing copy is a plus. Other important qualifications include an ability to meet deadlines, an assertive and creative work approach, social media savvy, multimedia skills (photography, video editing), excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, reliability and consistency. Candidate should understand the value of producing effective results over mere efficiency. Knowledge of classical music is also a plus. Access to a vehicle is not mandatory.
This position is unpaid, but can be taken for college credit. Other benefits include complimentary and discount tickets to performances, experience working in media relations and an increased understanding of arts marketing and promotions. Internship runs September through December – with possibility to extend to winter term January to May.
Please apply online by August 15, 2019. Application materials should include a current resume, cover letter, and writing samples.
Additional Internship Opportunities
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera accepts interns whenever possible to assist students and new professionals in making informed decisions about careers in the arts. Interested candidates can explore one or more facets of arts operations, administration, education, development and marketing We also offer opera-based production opportunities in our costume shop, scenic design studio and stage management. Internships are unpaid with flexible hours and can be used for academia credit. Interns are assigned to a mentor.