Connect our community with great live music.
Join our team and help support unforgettable musical experiences for our community at a 501(c3) non-profit organization that values excellence, integrity, trust, and communication.
Benefits & Perks at Utah Symphony | Utah Opera
Full-time staff receive health coverage (USUO pays 100%), 401(k) contribution plan, and paid time-off and holidays.
Staff receive complimentary and discounted tickets to Utah Symphony and Utah Opera performances.
Work that Matters
Music touches lives for good and enriches our community. Be part of an organization that brings beauty and happiness to the lives of people all over the state.
The staff supports USUO’s mission to connect the community through great live music by doing everything from promotion and fundraising to artistic planning and operations. View and apply for open positions below.
Accounts Payable Specialist
We are looking for a reliable accounting professional to help us properly maintain our payable information. The Accounts Payable Specialist will handle the financial processing of transactions appropriately and timely. We are seeking an experienced candidate who is detail oriented, organized, and has excellent communication skills.
- Assume full charge responsibilities for AP accounting procedures
- Prepare, analyze, verify, and input all invoices for proper approval, use of purchase order system, and coding
- Preparation of check processing, issuing, and mailing of checks
- Storage and organization of all historical financial records
- Reconcile credit cards and prepare for payment and posting
- Maintain petty cash account and log
- Year-end vendor procedures and manage transactions in the appropriate fiscal year
- Audit assistance
- General assistance to Controller
- Other projects as assigned
Required Knowledge, Training, and Skills:
- College training in Accounting Practices; a degree in Accounting or Finance is not essential but will be beneficial in this position
- Minimum of 2 years Accounts Payable experience
- Computer literate in Excel, Word, and use of Accounting Packages
- Highly organized in office skills
- Sharp attention to detail necessary
- Professional work ethic
- Excellent communication skills and ability to successfully coordinate with staff in other departments
- Ability to keep information confidential
- Must be able to organize tasks
- Ability to consistently meet all deadlines
- Physically move boxes weighing less than 50 lbs
Sales Associate, Part Time
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera (USUO) is seeking experienced outbound Sales Associates!
We are looking for friendly and energetic individuals with a genuine passion for music and the arts to maximize ticket revenue through the sale of USUO season subscription packages, and assist in our annual fundraising efforts.
This is a part time position that offers a great deal of flexibility to create your own schedule. Our sales office is located in Bountiful, and our office hours are Monday-Friday from 10:00am-6:00pm; we are closed on Saturday and Sunday. A minimum of 20 hours (maximum 29 hours) is required each week.
Sales Associates are paid an hourly wage and earn weekly bonuses for meeting various individual and team sales goals. The Sales Associate position offers a rewarding and unique opportunity to learn and expand your musical knowledge in a fun and friendly environment. Complimentary tickets to Utah Symphony & Opera performances are another great benefit!
Essential Responsibilities Include:
- Outbound calls selling Utah Symphony | Utah Opera season subscription packages
- Solicit donations from current and past patrons during our year-end Annual Fundraising Campaign
- Cultivate relationships with patrons in order to create repeat business and referrals
- Meet pre-determined goals for ticket sales, promotions, and contributions
- Identify the patron’s needs, present accurate product information and close the sale over the phone
- Keep detailed tracking records of revenue, contacts, calls per hour, and other sales metrics
- Maintain follow-up with patrons as needed
- Other duties as assigned by the Sales Manager
- Prior sales experience preferred
- Superior customer service and aptitude towards developing relationships over the phone
- Commitment to setting and achieving goals
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Outstanding organizational, problem-solving and multi-tasking abilities
- Qualified at working independently AND as part of a team
- High level of professionalism and grace under pressure
- Courteous attitude and strong listening skills
- Enthusiastic and positive personality; high energy level
Utah Opera seeks a detail-oriented individual with strong organizational and interpersonal skills to help coordinate and supervise all technical aspects of five Utah Opera productions and rental and construction projects. Candidate should be self-motivated and willing to look for ways to improve the working environment. This job requires adherence to high standards, a strong sense of responsibility, enthusiasm, and working nights and weekends. You should possess the ability to operate well under pressure, with a positive and dedicated problem-solving attitude, while being adaptable to new situations and changing priorities. Responsibilities include but not limited to: preparing and supervising the load-in/load-out of all sets and props; the complete rehearsal and run of shows in the Capitol Theatre. This job also assists in the construction drafting for projects to be built in the shop. Preparing ground plans; sections, and other technical drawings for production. Software knowledge required to know; AutoCAD preferred, Excel, Word, Outlook. BA in technical theatre or related field required, MFA preferred. Position is available now. Offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package. This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position with competitive pay and excellent benefits.
Please apply online. Application materials should include a resume and cover letter.
Master Electrician / Shop Carpenter
UTAH OPERA seeks candidates for Master Electrician/Shop Carpenter. The Master Electrician/Shop Carpenter would oversee company lighting gear, lead electrics crews during the load in and load out of Utah Opera productions and assist in the building of productions as a carpenter in the Utah Opera Scenic Studio. Experience programming ETC consoles, hands-on experience with intelligent lighting, and working with union stage crews is preferred.
This job requires adherence to high standards, a strong sense of responsibility, enthusiasm, and working nights and weekends. You should possess the ability to operate well under pressure, with a positive and dedicated problem-solving attitude, while being adaptable to new situations and changing priorities.
Other responsibilities include: collaborating with technical department heads, collaborating with designers, tracking labor, maintaining equipment, fabrication of custom light fixtures and effects, MIG welding, and experience or the ability to learn projections and video editing. This position will work as a shop carpenter 8-9 months out of the year and 3-4 months as a master electrician. Candidates should be a graduate of an accredited technical theatre program or have relevant work experience. This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position with competitive pay and excellent benefits.
Public Relations Internship
USUO is seeking a part-time Public Relations Intern to assist the Public Relations Director with expanding media relations efforts and placement. Intern would be responsible for drafting press releases and PSAs, updating and managing media lists, distributing relevant press materials to media in advance of their deadlines, monitoring and tracking media clips into our library, assisting with content generation and coordination for social media, conceptualizing and pitching unique story angles to the media and assisting the Marketing Department with any other projects as necessary. Hours are flexible and will be determined prior to the internship. Internship duration will also be determined based on mutual company and intern needs.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Writing press releases
- Writing PSAs (public service announcements)
- Submit PSAs to community calendars
- Interviewing guest artists/conductors
- Writing stories for publication on blog, playbill and social media
- Assisting in social media content production on platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Research and content production for patron relations project
- Creating, updating and maintaining media lists
- Monitoring and tracking media clips in an organized manner
- Pitching regional stories to local publications
- Conceptualizing and pitching unique story angles and human interest stories to media
Ideal candidate should be a recent graduate or current student of Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or Communications at an accredited university and have excellent written and verbal communication, and familiarity with journalistic AP Style. Experience writing news stories or marketing copy is a plus. Other important qualifications include an ability to meet deadlines, an assertive and creative work approach, social media savvy, multimedia skills (photography, video editing), excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, reliability and consistency. Candidate should understand the value of producing effective results over mere efficiency. Knowledge of classical music is also a plus. Access to a vehicle is not mandatory.
This position is unpaid, but can be taken for college credit. Other benefits include complimentary and discount tickets to performances, experience working in media relations and an increased understanding of arts marketing and promotions. Internship starts January 2, 2020.
Interested applicants should apply online by November 22, 2019.
Additional Internship Opportunities
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera accepts interns whenever possible to assist students and new professionals in making informed decisions about careers in the arts. Interested candidates can explore one or more facets of arts operations, administration, education, development and marketing We also offer opera-based production opportunities in our costume shop, scenic design studio and stage management. Internships are unpaid with flexible hours and can be used for academia credit. Interns are assigned to a mentor.