Connect our community with great live music.
Join our team and help support unforgettable musical experiences for our community at a 501(c3) non-profit organization that values excellence, integrity, trust, and communication.
Benefits & Perks at Utah Symphony | Utah Opera
Full-time staff receive health coverage (USUO pays 100%), 401(k) contribution plan, and paid time-off and holidays.
Staff receive complimentary and discounted tickets to Utah Symphony and Utah Opera performances.
Work that Matters
Music touches lives for good and enriches our community. Be part of an organization that brings beauty and happiness to the lives of people all over the state.
The staff supports USUO’s mission to connect the community through great live music by doing everything from promotion and fundraising to artistic planning and operations. View and apply for open positions below.
Artist Logistics Coordinator
Utah Symphony is looking for an energetic, self-motivated Artist Logistics Coordinator with a love for symphonic music to provide guest artist care for visiting soloists and conductors. This is a unique opportunity to support incredible performers from all genres, for an organization with a robust schedule of statewide events. The Artist Logistics Coordinator reports to the Director of Operations and the Vice President of Symphony Artistic Planning, and works closely with the Artistic and Operations teams. The ideal candidate will be extremely organized, demonstrate initiative and calm under pressure, and be willing to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• General care of all guest artists, including booking transportation and accommodations; procuring and setting up dressing room hospitality; managing and processing artists’ fee payments; and generating itineraries and welcome packets.
• Process visa applications for foreign artists.
• Ensure timely execution of all Utah Symphony artistic contracts in coordination with Artistic and Operations staff.
• Assist VP of Symphony Artistic Planning in creating the artistic budget, and lead the tracking and implementation of the budget.
• Manage relationships with local hotel partners.
• Manage company vehicle schedules and maintenance.
• Assist VP of Symphony Artistic Planning in fielding booking inquiries.
• Serve in artistic rehearsal and concert duty rotation on an as needed basis.
• Minimum of bachelor’s degree, experience with symphonic music and knowledge of symphonic repertoire strongly preferred.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work discreetly, independently and display good judgment in dealing with diverse personalities and potentially difficult situations
• Advanced working knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, Excel and database systems.
• Valid driver’s license and excellent driving record.
Shop Manager / Head Carpenter
UTAH OPERA seeks candidates for Shop Manager / Head Carpenter to oversee and participate in running a busy scenic shop.
This position works with Senior Tech Dir and Tech Dir to execute builds done in the shop. They assist with the bidding process on projects, help select over hire, instruct and oversee building of scenic elements and assure that a high quality standard is met. Candidate also assists with load in and out of the theater as skill set is needed. Also assist in maintaining inventory and general stock of building materials.
Candidate must be proficient in: reading and executing design & build drawings, and wood and metal fabrication and tools, working knowledge of AutoCAD preferred. Candidates should be a graduate of an accredited technical theatre program or have relevant work experience. Experience in a professional theatre producing large scale scenery preferred. Candidates should be highly organized, detail oriented, have strong written and verbal communication skills, management experience, the ability to operate well under pressure, value a safe work environment and work well in a team atmosphere. Experience with IA union crews preferred. This is full-time, salaried, exempt position with competitive pay and excellent benefits.
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera (USUO) is seeking an experienced Sales Manager to manage the organization’s telemarketing, telefunding, and group sales efforts; which include series package sales, special promotions, and fundraising for the Utah Symphony, Utah Opera, and the Deer Valley® Music Festival. The Sales Manager reports to the Director of Patron Engagement, and will work closely with USUO’s Marketing and Development (Fundraising) departments. This position works out of USUO’s call room in Bountiful, UT and the office hours are Monday – Friday, 10:00am – 6:00pm.
Essential responsibilities include:
- Hire, motivate, train, and mentor Sales and Group Sales Associates
- Develop and implement telemarketing subscription, telefunding and group sales campaigns
- Assist Sales Associates throughout sales process, and enter completed sales and donations on behalf of Sales Associates in Tessitura
- Establish guidelines for reporting on and executing sales goals
- Successfully meet financial goals: total revenue, office expenses, ROI
- Work with Development and Education teams for fundraising and education initiatives
- Manage sales lead inventory
- Develop materials for sales associates; including scripts, policies, training documentation
- Manage and motivate sales associates to exceed ticketing revenue and fundraising goals
- Provide daily and weekly sales reports
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, sales, or related field or equivalent experience
- Excellent organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- Ability to create a positive work environment and motivate employees
- Demonstrated knowledge of good customer service policies and consumer behavior
- Ability to work well under deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- High level of initiative and creativity
- Advanced understanding of sales processes and KPIs
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and customer service skills
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Competency with Tessitura ticketing system preferred
Master Electrician / Shop Carpenter
UTAH OPERA seeks candidates for Master Electrician/Shop Carpenter. The Master Electrician/Shop Carpenter would oversee company lighting gear, lead electrics crews during the load in and load out of Utah Opera productions and assist in the building of productions as a carpenter in the Utah Opera Scenic Studio. Experience programming ETC consoles, hands-on experience with intelligent lighting, and working with union stage crews is preferred.
This job requires adherence to high standards, a strong sense of responsibility, enthusiasm, and working nights and weekends. You should possess the ability to operate well under pressure, with a positive and dedicated problem-solving attitude, while being adaptable to new situations and changing priorities.
Other responsibilities include: collaborating with technical department heads, collaborating with designers, tracking labor, maintaining equipment, fabrication of custom light fixtures and effects, MIG welding, and experience or the ability to learn projections and video editing. This position will work as a shop carpenter 8-9 months out of the year and 3-4 months as a master electrician. Candidates should be a graduate of an accredited technical theatre program or have relevant work experience. This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position with competitive pay and excellent benefits.
Public Relations Internship
USUO is seeking a part-time Public Relations Intern to assist the Public Relations Director with expanding media relations efforts and placement. Intern would be responsible for drafting press releases and PSAs, updating and managing media lists, distributing relevant press materials to media in advance of their deadlines, monitoring and tracking media clips into our library, assisting with content generation and coordination for patron relations project, conceptualizing and pitching unique story angles to the media and assisting the Marketing Department with any other projects as necessary. Hours are flexible and will be determined prior to the internship. Internship duration will also be determined based on mutual company and intern needs.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Writing press releases
- Creating talking points to prep USUO executive for on air/camera interviews
- Writing PSAs (public service announcements)
- Submit PSAs to community calendars
- Interviewing guest artists/conductors
- Writing stories for publication on blog, playbill and social media
- Assisting in social media execution on platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Research and content production for patron relations project
- Creating, updating and maintaining media lists
- Monitoring and tracking media clips in an organized manner
- Pitching regional stories to local publications
- Conceptualizing and pitching unique story angles and human interest stories to media
Ideal candidate should be a recent graduate or current student of Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or Communications at an accredited university and have excellent written and verbal communication, and familiarity with journalistic AP Style. Experience writing news stories or marketing copy is a plus. Other important qualifications include an ability to meet deadlines, an assertive and creative work approach, excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, reliability and consistency. Candidate should understand the value of producing effective results over mere efficiency. Knowledge of classical music is also a plus. Access to a vehicle is not mandatory. This position is unpaid, but can be taken for college credit. Other benefits include complimentary and discount tickets to performances, experience working in media relations and an increased understanding of arts marketing and promotions. Internship runs September through December – with possibility to extend to winter term January to May.
Interested applicants should submit a current resume, cover letter and writing samples by August 15, 2018.
Additional Internship Opportunities
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera accepts interns whenever possible to assist students and new professionals in making informed decisions about careers in the arts. Interested candidates can explore one or more facets of arts operations, administration, education, development and marketing We also offer opera-based production opportunities in our costume shop, scenic design studio and stage management. Internships are unpaid with flexible hours and can be used for academia credit. Interns are assigned to a mentor.