Director of Public Relations
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera is seeking a proven PR professional to develop and implement public relations and communications strategies for the Utah Symphony, Utah Opera and Deer Valley® Music Festival.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
• Developing & implementing long- and short-term public relations plans and communications strategies.
• Overseeing all press conferences, media cultivation events and major press announcements.
• Accompanying company representatives and artists at radio and television appearances.
• Serving as spokesperson for the organization and USUO's primary media contact.
• Establishing and maintaining close relationships with a broad range of media contacts.
• Conceptualizing & pitching story ideas and interesting news hooks to media.
• Arranging media access to USUO performances and events.
• Creating and distributing press releases, media advisories, newsletters, talking points and media kits.
• Participating in USUO's social media and online activities including developing content for blogs, websites, social media and other online channels.
Desired Skills & Experience
• Bachelor degree in Communications, Public Relations, English, Journalism, or equivalent experience.
• Minimum three years’ experience working in public relations in an organization of a similar size/scope of Utah Symphony | Utah Opera.
• Demonstrated knowledge of PR and media relationships
• Exceptional writing and verbal communication skills.
• Knowledge of and interest in classical music and opera.
• Outstanding organizational skills, strong project management experience, superior interpersonal skills, attention to detail and proven ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera (USUO) is seeking an Executive Assistant to support the administration of the Company in collaboration with the Music Director and Senior VP & COO.
• Maintains, coordinates and communicates the Music Director’s Utah Symphony schedule and personal needs, including: rehearsals, concerts, community appearances, fundraising events, receptions, meetings with staff members, musicians, board members, guest artists, etc.
• Maintains and coordinates Senior VP & COO’s schedule including: concerts, events, weekly meetings with staff, Department Heads Meeting, musicians and others as needed
• Assists in company-wide job postings & interviews
• Assists with HR related administrative duties as needed
• Consults with COO to prepare Department Head agenda and prepares minutes at Department Head, Task Force and Orchestra Committee meetings as needed
• Compose correspondence as required by the COO and Music Director.
Bachelor’s degree necessary. Executive Assistant experience helpful. Demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills required. Knowledge of or experience with classical music preferred.
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera (USUO) is seeking experienced Sales Associates to maximize ticket revenue (through the sale of USUO series ticket packages and promotions to organizations and individuals in the Salt Lake City metropolitan area) and assist in fundraising efforts (by supporting USUO operations through telefundraising).
Essential Responsibilities Include:
• Prospect and sell series ticket packages to the general public and/or ask for annual donations through aggressive cold calling
• Required to make 10+ calls per hour from generated prospect sheets
• Meet pre-determined goals for ticket sales, promotions, and contributions
• Provide superior customer service and accurate information to prospective patrons (including existing ticket holders, donors, referrals, prospects, and single ticket buyers)
• Present product information to patrons
• Establish relationships with patrons in order to create repeat business and additional referrals
• Maintain complete and accurate customer records
• Maintain follow-up with patrons as needed
• Other duties as assigned by the Sales Manager
Preferred Experience Includes:
• Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication, and customer service skills
• Aptitude towards developing relationships over the phone
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• High level of professionalism and grace under pressure
• Courteous attitude and strong listening skills
• Ability to maintain a high energy level
• Commitment to setting and achieving goals
• Strong desire to succeed
Qualified candidates should possess a genuine passion for music and the arts.
This is a part time position (about 20 hours per week) with day and evening hours available to create a schedule that works for you.
Sales office is located in Bountiful.
Sales Associates earn an hourly rate and are incentivized with various potential bonuses on a weekly basis. Complimentary tickets to USUO performances are another great benefit.
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera accepts interns whenever possible to assist students and new professionals in making informed decisions about careers in the arts. Interested candidates can explore one or more facets of arts operations, administration, education, development and marketing. We also offer opera-based production opportunities in our costume shop, scenic design studio and stage management. Internships are unpaid with flexible hours and can be used for academia credit. Interns are assigned to a mentor.
Summer Front of House Internship
Front of House Interns will be responsible for assisting with managing Front of House and coordinating an enormous staff of over 80 volunteers per event for the Deer Valley® Music Festival. The individual will have the opportunity to work with a world-renowned orchestra and stars from classical, pops, country and Broadway music. College students with an interest in Arts Management, and Stage or Production Management are encouraged to apply. The internship includes primarily onsite event duties with a varied schedule Wednesday through Saturday during DVMF. It will involve evening events. This is an unpaid internship, but offers free tickets to DVMF concerts and possible housing on long hour weeks. Through assisting at these events, the intern will gain increased understanding of the Volunteer and arts management.
College students pursuing a Bachelor’s degree should apply. The ideal candidate will have superb customer service and managerial skills. Experience working in the hospitality industry is a plus.
Applications are due by April 21, 2013. Application materials include a resume and cover letter.
Internships begin June 24, 2013 and end August 14, 2013.
Interested applicants should send resume and cover letter to:
Front of House & Volunteer Manager
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera